Fully qualified piano tuner and technician, offering a friendly, reliable and professional service throughout the East Midlands.
Regular 6 monthly or annual tunings cost £60 for an upright and £70 for a grand. Pitch raising for pianos that have not been tuned regularly will be from £110, dependant on how far out the tuning is.
New customers will get a detailed assessment of the condition of the instrument so that a planned schedule of tuning and maintenance can be put in place
Training and Experience
- Trained from 2015 to 2018 at the world famous Piano School in Newark on Trent; the course covered intensive instruction in tuning and a comprehensive insight into both upright and grand piano repair, regulation and restoration.
- Work experience with Alistair Lawrence at John Broadwood & Sons in 2016/2017.
- Work experience with Phil Taylor and Gavin Crooks at Crown Pianos in 2017/2018.
Piano Tuning, Maintenance & Repair
- In 2015 Andrew enrolled on the piano tuning and maintenance course at Newark College.
- The first year of the course teaches the basics of piano tuning through to tuning an equal tempered scale as well as the techniques involved in refurbishing and repairing both upright and grand pianos.
- The second and third years of the course continue the theme of constant tuning practice but include a full rebuild of an upright piano and a grand piano respectively.
- In conjunction with this there is also a two year toolmaking course leading to an NVQ level 2 qualification.
Experience & Restoration
- To widen his experience of piano work in a professional environment Andrew spent one day a week during the 2016/2017 accademic year working at the world famous Broadwood piano works in Lythe near Whitby.
- This has seen him involved with the restoration of an 18th century square piano for the National Trust of Scotland, along with a variety of pianos both of Broadwood manufacture and other reputable makers, both upright and grand.
- Some of this work has involved visiting customers’ homes to undertake refurbishments.
- Andrew further widened his experience during the 2017/2018 accademic year working at Crown Pianos with Phil Taylor and Gavin Crooks.
- Work here has involved him in the restoration and upgrade of a Bechstein model A grand piano for the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham, replacing split action rails for a number of Steinway pianos and learning the skills involved in scaling and making piano bass strings.